How to register a complaint

Non-urgent advice: Notice

Please note that complaints are kept completely separate from your medical records and the affect your future care.

Sometimes things go wrong that can affect the care that you receive. We are here to listen and address any complaint you may have.

We operate an informal complaints system.  Please follow the steps below.

  1. Contact any Manager in the first instance who will try and solve any issues you may be having quickly and to your satisfaction. You can do this over the ‘phone or in person. This is usually the quickest route to resolution.
  2. If you would prefer to put your complaint in writing then please send us your letter for the attention of: Practice Business Manager, Keighley Road Surgery, Halifax, HX2 9LL.
  3. We aim to acknowledge your letter within two working days
  4. We aim to respond following a full investigation within 20 working days.

Contacting us in the first instance usually identifies a problem and we can put things right straight away.  We review all complaints annually and put improvements in place as a result.

Contacting us first is the quickest and simplest way of solving nearly all problems. If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint or how it was dealt with, you can ask the Health Service Ombudsman to investigate it.

The Health Service Ombudsman is a free, independent complaints service. If they decide that the NHS has got things wrong, they can make recommendations to put things right.

You can contact the Health Service Ombudsman in the following ways.

  • By phoning 0345 015 4033 (textphone 0300 061 4298 for people who are deaf or have problems using a standard phone).
  • By sending an email to:
  • By texting ‘call back’ with your name and mobile number; to 07624 813 005. Someone will the call you.
  • If you use BSL you can use their Sign Video service
  • By writing to: Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP

You can also visit their website at: