Clinics & Services
Practice Nurse Services
Patients are invited to make appointments with the practice nurses for the following services:-
- Family planning and sexual health advice - for contraception and family planning advice including the morning-after pill, please make an appointment to see your doctor.
- Breast awareness and breast self-examination instruction and advice (must be examined by a GP)
- Childhood vaccinations – carried out in Baby Clinic on Monday afternoons from 13:30 to 14:45. You will receive an appointment when appropriate. Please remember this is not for sick children, just for routine development examinations and immunisations.
- Blood tests - at GP's request
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Well woman checks - patients over 16 may request this if they have not presented at the surgery for over three years.
- Well man checks - patients over 16 may request this if they have not presented at the surgery for over three years)
- Travel vaccinations - If you require advice on travel vaccinations, contact reception on 01422 247 528 and select Appointments when prompted or call in and ask for a vaccination assessment form. Certain other travel vaccinations also have to be paid for. Please check this when making your enquiries. We no longer give Yellow Fever vaccinations but locally The Boulevard Medical practice, Stainland Road and Kings Cross Surgeries can provide this service. More information is available on the above tab.
- Influenza vaccinations - offered annually, starting in late September.These are recommended for the over 65 year olds and patients with asthma, diabetes, bronchitis, COPD, heart disease, and splenectomy patients. Clinic times are advertised at the surgery from late summer onwards. The pneumococcal (pneumonia) vaccine can be given at the same time as the flu vaccine if appropriate.
- Ear syringing - following a GP or ANP recommendation.
Health Maintenance Services
All patients with asthma or COPD should be reviewed annually, therefore please make an appointment with the asthma care nurse for an annual review in the asthma clinic if you have not been seen in the last 12 months (bring all medication with you to any review clinic).
All patients with diabetes, not being cared for by the hospital diabetic clinic, should be reviewed annually. Please ring 01422 247528 and select Appointments when prompted to make an appointment for your annual check if you have not been seen within the last 12 months (bring all medication with you to any review clinic).
If you are housebound, please contact the Surgery on 01422 247528 to arrange a home visit.
Heart Disease Prevention Clinics
Patients with previous heart problems may be contacted to attend this clinic and will then receive an annual recall.
If your doctor feels it is appropriate, he may suggest you have minor surgery performed in our well equipped treatment room rather than referring you to the hospital services.
Community Counselling Services
If patients are referred to the counselling service, this is normally carried out in our surgery by highly qualified counselling professionals.
Angela Gove is a qualified phlebotomist and trained in recording ECGs etc. Kizzy Matthews is also a healthcare assistant and is qualified in ear syringing, phlebotomy, spirometry and currently holds blood test clinics.
The role of the healthcare assistant is to help with the workload of the practice nurses giving them free appointments for more time-consuming procedures. You can book in healthcare assistants for blood tests, blood pressure monitoring, new patient checks. ECGs and other follow up appointments, which may be advised by a GP, eg. Cardio Vascular Risk Assessments, healthy diet advice, etc.